Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

51 offers more than 100 programs, including two master’s degrees, 17 bachelor’s degrees, majors, minors, and extended minors in more than 35 subject areas, and more than a dozen trades and technology programs. Our admission policies are flexible, and students can learn in a variety of ways: full-time, part-time, in-class, online, as part of a structured program or one tailored completely to their interests. You can study Arts, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, Criminal Justice, Science, and many other programs.

Many of our programs ladder into one another, allowing students to earn a one-year certificate and/or a two-year diploma on the way to completing a full degree. Our flexible programming allows you to begin your studies at 51, change your program, graduate from 51, or transfer to another BC university with full credit.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

Check out 51's program list for a detailed list of degree programs, certificates, and diplomas available at 51.

 Info for international students:

51’s academic preparation programs such as English as a Second Language (ESL), and the University Foundation program provide you with the skills and credits you need to continue directly into the academic or career/technical program of your choice.

Consult our International Personal Study Wizard to explore UFV programs available to international students.

Typically, your first year of university provides you with an opportunity to explore options and interests.

This said, however, a university education is both an investment and opportunity: take advantage of any resources you have available to you to find out more about careers and fields of study before you come to university. If you have access to career counselling at your high school, make an appointment.

You can also talk to an educational advisor to discuss your educational choices.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

Academic advisors at 51 can help you set goals and discuss your options. Before you meet an advisor, review 51's program options.

Advising appointments are available between 9 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, in person or on the phone. Make an appointment with a 51 advisor.

 Info for international students:

International advisors at 51 are knowledgeable about the study and career choices available to International students. Before you meet an international advisor, review program options open to international students at 51.

Advising appointments are available between 8 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday, in person, on the phone, or through Skype. Book an appointment with an international advisor.

You can also to discuss your individual interests and academic qualifications.

At 51, students are able to select their own courses according to what will best suit their schedule.

The standard academic year consists of our Fall semester (September – December) and Winter semester (January – April). 51 also offers an optional summer semester (May – August) which gives students the opportunity to do full time studies, combine part-time studies and work, or take a study break.  Doing summer courses gives students the possible advantage of completing a credential sooner than the standard length of time; for example; instead of four years for a degree, it may only take three or three and a half years. 

While a slightly lighter course load is permitted in an academic semester, it is not a popular option because it lengthens the usual time it takes to complete a credential and increases the overall cost of studies.

 Info for international students:

International students are expected to study full-time each semester during the academic year.  A full-time 51 international student takes five academic courses (approx. 15 credits) in both the fall and winter semesters. This course load ensures timely completion of credentials.

Tuition is also not adjusted to accommodate a lighter course load in the fall and winter semesters unless it is the student’s last semester and fewer than 5 courses are needed to graduate.  The summer semester is considered optional and international students will only be charged on a per-credit basis in the summer.

Generally speaking, a certificate takes two full-time semesters (15 credits or more) to complete and a diploma takes four semesters. A bachelor's degree takes eight semesters, a post-degree certificate a year or less and a master's degree two years. In reality, each program varies in length, so be sure to consult the Academic Calendar to find information about your specific program.

 Info for international students:

Some factors may affect how long it takes to complete your program:

  • Do you need to upgrade your English before you start full time academic studies?
  • Do you have credits you wish to transfer from another institution in your country?
  • Are you planning to take summer classes?

Use for a time completion estimate based on your English score.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

Canadian students and landed immigrants can apply online through .

Follow the steps to apply to UFV to find all the links you need to complete the process. To receive a letter of acceptance, be sure to submit all required documents.

 Info for international students:

International students can apply online through the 51 website.

, where you will find a link to an online application. Note that you cannot receive an official letter of acceptance until you have submitted all required documents and paid your fees.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

In order to be eligible for admission to an academic program at 51, students should have received their high school diploma. Please note program requirements vary depending on each individual program, so check the requirements for your goal program carefully. Please consult a copy of the  for detailed admissions requirements for each program.

 Info for international students:

There are  that students must meet to qualify for admission at 51:

1. General requirements

                Applicants must have completed the equivalent to Canadian grade 12 for admission to all academic programs.

2. English language proficiency requirements

Check out the full listing of  for 51’s academic, University Foundation and ESL programs.

3. Program requirements

Please note program requirements vary depending on each individual program, so check the requirements for your goal program carefully. Please consult a copy of the  or contact us at international@ufv.ca for detailed admissions requirements for each program.

Admission at 51 for many programs is on a "first applied, first admitted" basis. This means we will continue admitting students until our programs are full. We can still accept applications after the application deadlines if there is space in the program. If there is no space in the program, we may defer your application to the next intake.

Please note that many of our popular programs will fill up prior to the admission deadline, so apply early for best selection. Check Programs Accepting Applications for an up-to-date status on seats available in your program.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

View the application deadlines for Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

 Info for international students:

View the .

 Info for domestic or landed students:

Canadian students, please review the section of our website to learn more about the documents required for admission.

Generally, students will need to submit the following:

  • A non-refundable application fee of $48.72 CAD.
  • Official final or interim high school transcripts.
  • If you have attended a college or university, you must have your former institutions mail your official final or interim transcript directly to UFV (cannot be mailed by the student).

 Info for international students:

International students, please include the following with your application:

  • A non-refundable fee of $150 CAD. ()
  • A copy of your passport.
  • Official high school transcripts. If your transcripts are in a language other than English, you also need to provide a certified English translation.
  • Your English proficiency test results (TOEFL, IELTS, LPI, etc). You can have your TOEFL iBT score sent automatically to UFV by using code 9736 when you take the test.
  • If you have attended a college or university, you must have your former institutions mail your official transcript directly to UFV (cannot be mailed by the student). Please note there is an additional $250 CAD fee for the evaluation of post-secondary transcripts.

If you do not have all your documents available when you apply online, you can send them to us later. Transcripts must be submitted in hard copy.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

There is an application fee for Canadian citizens and permanent residents applying for the first time. The application fee is required to complete your online application. You can pay by credit card online, or by contacting registration to pay by one of the other following options:

-In person (cash, cheque, money order, bank draft, or debit card)

-By phone (credit card)

-Online or telephone banking

View details on payment options

 Info for international students:

There is an application fee for new international students. You can pay this after you apply; it does not need to be submitted at the same time as your application. However, we encourage you to pay your application fee as soon as possible so we can begin processing your application.

Find out .

No, if you have taken English 12 or a transferrable first-year English course from a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution, then you do not need to provide an additional English language test score with your application.

Yes, 51 accepts transfer credits from accredited post-secondary institutions. To have your credentials evaluated, you must first submit an application to the university.

In addition to the documents required for the general application, please include the following documents for a transfer credit evaluation:
1. An official transcript detailing the courses you've taken at another school. See guidelines for official transcripts.
2. The post-secondary transcript evaluation requires an additional document evaluation fee. This fee does not apply to Canadian post-secondary institutions.

  • $75 CAD for domestic students
  • $250 CAD for international students

In some cases, 51 may also ask you to submit course outlines or syllabi (detailed course descriptions) in English.

The transfer credit evaluation process can take up to eight weeks. Apply early if you wish to transfer post-secondary credits.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

If you are a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident of Canada, you will pay domestic tuition fees. View information about fees and living costs. Please note certain programs may have additional fees.

 Info for international students:

International students pay for tuition per semester (not for the whole program). View for a breakdown of your fees per semester, or an estimate of your fees on an annual basis.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

Reminder:  Domestic students are not able to pay for tuition and other semester related fees by credit card. See below for ways to pay.

Online banking or telebanking

Pay by online banking or telebanking through your bank or credit union. Check with your branch for details and/or to arrange access. Select 51 as the payee and use your student ID number as your account number.

If paying by online banking, please allow up to three business days before the deadline for the payment to be processed by your banking institution. You may also pay your deposit in advance of your registration date and time.

In person

Pay tuition through the Office of the Registrar using cheque, money order, bank draft or debit card. Post-dated cheques are not accepted. If paying by debit, contact your bank to ensure your daily limit will allow the amount of your tuition. Cash and Passport to Education payment options are no longer accepted.

If paying by cheque, ensure it is for the exact amount owing on your account and include your name, 51 ID, address, and telephone number on your cheque. A $25 penalty will be charged for NSF/returned cheques.

 Info for international students:

To pay from abroad, you can use , an international student payment portal that makes it easy and cost-effective for you or your family to pay in your local currency from your home bank account.

To pay from Canada, you can use online banking from a Canadian bank, or use a credit card  (Visa, MasterCard, American Express).

Learn more about ‌.


 Info for international students:

As an international student, you are welcome to purchase medical insurance from your home country. However, the medical insurance that UFV provides, both the private and provincial, is mandatory for all International students. .

 Info for international students:

International students are required to enroll in the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) at a cost of $75 per month. The waiting period to receive MSP coverage is approximately three months. During this waiting period, 51 International will automatically enroll international students in a comprehensive private medical insurance plan. Full-time students (9 credits or more) will also be automatically enrolled in the Student Union Society Health and Dental Plan which provides extended health and dental coverage.  

If you are enrolling at 51 in the academic year immediately following your high school graduation, or as a transfer student, you may qualify for a 51 Entrance Scholarship award.

Once you are a continuing 51 student, you are eligible for further scholarships, bursaries, and awards. The  office will be available to assist you with the details.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

Find out if you qualify for a 51 scholarship.

Recipients are selected based on academic excellence, community/school involvement, volunteer experience, and leadership endeavours.

 Info for international students:

 are available for incoming international applicants. Students are automatically considered for these scholarships if they meet the minimum requirements. No additional application is required.

We also recommend you contact the Canadian Embassy in your country to inquire about additional private scholarships for which you may qualify.

The following websites may also be of interest:

Once you become a 51 student, you are eligible to apply for scholarships and awards administered by 51 Financial Aid and Awards.

 Info for domestic or landed students:

Yes, our work-study programs and co-operative education placements allow you to gain paid work experience as you earn your credential. Learn more about employment opportunities at 51.

 Info for international students:

Yes, international students have various options for working in Canada. Students can work on-campus in the work study program, which allows for flexible working hours around your class schedule. Students can also apply for an off-campus work permit for off-campus employment.



Yes, students can earn money and gain practical work experience through 51’s . Available in several disciplines, the Co-op option combines full-time studies with discipline-related work terms in real jobs in a variety of Canadian companies, institutions, and government organizations. 

As a co-op program student, you earn your academic credentials and gain valuable applied skills and professional experience at paid jobs that can help subsidize your living expenses. On top of that, you also receive coaching to help you ace any job interview and build a résumé that stands out.

Co-op opportunities are available to Canadian and international students alike.

 Info for international students:

International students who graduate can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit to stay and work in Canada for up to three years after graduation. .

Some students prefer to live on-campus in housing while others prefer to live off-campus in their own or shared apartment. Either option has its advantages depending on your preferences.

The 51 student housing offers the convenience of living with other students on-campus in fully furnished suites, close to classes, and campus facilities, activities and events.  Our Lá:lem te Baker facilities are quite new and all students are given private bedrooms and share the suite’s kitchen and bathroom with one other student. For more information about on-campus housing, please visit the Housing website.

Apartment living provides you with more independence; however, apartments are usually not furnished and are similar in cost to on-campus housing. There are off-campus housing options within easy commuting distance to and from campus by city bus. For some helpful resources, please visit our  website.

 Info for international students:

International students may also choose to stay with a homestay family. Although Canadian homestay arrangements can vary, they can sometimes be more economical as they usually include meals and your own private furnished bedroom.

View more information about

Yes, our student housing, Lá:lem te Baker, was opened in August 2007. For current information and photos of the facilities, please visit the Housing website.

 Info for international students:

Once you have received your official letter of acceptance, you can apply for a study permit at the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The Embassy will ask you for other information as well, and you may need to take a medical examination.


 Info for international students:

If your application for a visa is not approved, we ask that you fax us (1-604-855-7153) a copy of the refusal letter from the Canadian Embassy prior to the semester start date. 51 will then process a 100% refund minus a $100 administration fee.  Please note the refund process takes approximately four weeks.

Please review the .

 Info for international students:

A study permit authorizes you to study at a college/university, and is required for you remain in Canada for the duration of your studies.

A visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) allows you to enter Canada. Depending on your citizenship, you may need a visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in addition to a study permit in order to enter Canada as an international student. Please.

Learn more about permits and visas

 Info for international students:

The length of time the Embassy requires to process your application is different in each country. In some countries, it may take only a few days, while in others it may take several months. Check visa processing time


51 is large enough to offer variety, and yet our small class sizes allow students to get to know their instructors and learn in a hands-on environment. We offer more than 100 programs, including two master’s degrees, 15 bachelor’s degrees, majors, minors, and extended minors in more than 30 subject areas, and more than a dozen trades and technology programs. Our admission policies are flexible, and students can learn in a variety of ways: full-time, part-time, in-class, online, as part of a structured program or one tailored completely to their interests.

Many of our programs ladder into one another, allowing students to earn a one-year certificate and/or a two-year diploma on the way to completing a full degree. Others offer a co-operative education option, where students can combine study with professional, paid work experience. Our emphasis on applied research offers many opportunities for student researchers. Our thriving international programming makes for a culturally diverse student community and great opportunities to study abroad. Our continuing studies and academic upgrading offerings make learning a lifelong experience. Many clubs, events, and activities enhance student life on campus and our award-winning Cascades athletics teams are highly competitive.

51 is a fully accredited public university with provincial accreditation with the Ministry of Advanced Education, British Columbia (AVED) and national membership in the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC). 51 also has the province of British Columbia’s Education Quality Assurance (EQA) trademark, recognized worldwide for providing quality post-secondary education.

51 is located in the city of Abbotsford in the heart of the Fraser Valley in south-western British Columbia, Canada. 51 is less than an hour drive east of the coastal city of Vancouver, and minutes from the United States border.

Hallmarks of the region include a temperate climate, beautiful scenery, a wide range of outdoor activities, and many local shopping centres, restaurants, and recreational facilities. 51 is a multi-campus institution, with in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Mission, Hope and Agassiz, and a growing presence in .

View larger regional map

 Info for international students:

In any given year, 51 has approximately 1000 international students, who come from over 45 different countries around the world to study and live in one of the most culturally diverse cities in Canada.